Work-related allergies

At work you may come into contact with substances that you aren’t exposed to in everyday life. Some people experience an allergic reaction from substances they work with. Two commonly occurring allergies of this sort are described below. More information can be provided by Paulien Oosterveld, occupational hygienist, tel. 3089.

Latex allergy

It is a known fact that people who have frequent contact with rubber products, such as latex, run the risk of developing a hypersensitivity. Generally, this hypersensitivity can manifest itself in various ways: skin irritation (irritative contact dermatitis), a contact allergy in the skin (type IV allergy) or an allergic reaction in the mucus membranes of the nose, eyes or lungs (type I allergy).

In Latex allergy leaflet you can read all about the symptoms of hypersensitivity, what latex allergy is and what you can do to prevent it.

Do you think you get an allergic reaction to latex? Read through the leaflet and contact your supervisor.

Laboratory animal allergy

Working the laboratory animals can cause allergic reactions due to hypersensitivity to hair or dander (flakes of skin) from the animals. About one in three people who work with laboratory animals experiences these allergic reactions, which usually manifest themselves as respiratory problems. The symptoms only go away when exposure to the allergens (the substances that cause the allergy) is halted.

Limiting exposure to allergens is an important preventative measure against laboratory animal allergy. The ways this can be done include taking technical measures (ventilation) or organisational measures (limiting periods of exposure) and using protective gear (gloves, lab coats).

In the leaflet on laboratory animal allergy you can read about the symptoms of hypersensitivity and what you can do to prevent this allergy.

Do you think you are hypersensitive to laboratory animals? Read through the leaflet and contact your supervisor.

 
Last Modified: 29-09-2014